Search by Keyword
BC SCRAP-IT PROGRAM
Receive Up To $8,500 In Rebates For Your Old Vehicle
The electric car revolution is upon us. More and more auto manufacturers are starting to produce all-electric variants of their vehicles - including General Motors. To help you make the switch from gasoline or diesel vehicles, the BC Scrap-It program was created to help provide financial incentives for residents of British Columbia when trading in their old vehicle for an all-electric vehicle.
For 2022, the BC Scrap-It program can provide you with a $500 rebate when you scrap your vehicle and purchase either a new or used battery electric vehicle (BEV) like the Chevrolet Bolt EV. If you decide to purchase a new or used Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV) when scrapping your old vehicle, the BC Scrap-It program can offer a $400 rebate.
But wait, there's more! Qualified customers can also receive up to an additional $5,000 Federal Government Rebate & up to a $3,000 Provincial Government Rebate on a new battery electric vehicle (BEV). That's a total of up to $8,500 in savings!
What is the BC Scrap-It Program?
The BC Scrap-It program was designed to help residents of British Columbia get rid of their old, gas guzzling vehicle for a new (or pre-owned) zero emission vehicle through financial incentives. Those financial incentives include:
- A $500 rebate when you purchase a qualifying new or used Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV)
- A $400 rebate when you purchase a qualifying new or used Plug-In Hybrid Vehicle (PHEV)
Is My Old Vehicle Eligible?
There are a few criteria that you must meet in order to qualify for the BC Scrap-It Program. These include:
- All applicants must be able to provide evidence from ICBC that they have had continuous driving insurance on their vehicle, as the registered owner(s), for the 6 month period from the date they apply to the program, backwards.
What Other Incentives Are There?
Should you choose to scrap your vehicle through the BC Scrap-It program but not purchase a new or used BEV or PHEV, you can choose from other rebate incentives. These include:
- An 8 month 1 zone Translink adult monthly pass ($802 value)
- A 14 month 3 zone Translink concession monthly pass ($802 value)
- An 11 month ECOPASS ($880 value) valid on the Victoria Regional transit system
- A $750 rebate from BC Scrap-It when you purchase a new electric bike from a participating electric bicycle retailer. The minimum retail price of the e-bike must be $1,200 before taxes.
- A $500 credit with one of the following organizations: Modo, Kootenay Carshare Co-op, Coast Car Cop-op, Spark Car Share
- $200 cash rebate
- A $100 cash rebate when you scrap a vehicle that does not qualify for the program
I Have A Few More Questions, Where Can I Get More Info?
You can get more information about the BC Scrap-It program on their website. www.ScrapIt.ca