2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD – What We Know So FarJul 5th, 2019
Just like the 2019 Silverado, the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 HD is also getting a major update. With new styling, a stiffened up frame, and a host of new features, the 2020 Chevy Silverado HD is poised to sit on top of the hill once again.
Some things change, some things stay the same. That seems to be the motto of the all-new 2020 Silverado HD because the 6.6L Duramax turbo-diesel remains unchanged but an all-new 6.6L gasoline engine accompanies it.
6.6L V8 Duramax Turbo-Diesel
The 6.6L V8 diesel engine remains unchanged from the previous generation Silverado HD. It produces 445 hp and 910 lb-ft of torque at 1,600 rpms. The big change though is that it’s now paired with a new 10-speed Allison automatic transmission. It features a revised Tow/haul mode for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads. It also features Auto Grade Braking that automatically downshifts when needed to enable engine braking, helping to slow the 3500HD on downhill grade and reduce brake wear.
6.6L V8 Gasoline
The new 6.6L V8 gas engine produces 401 hp and 464 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpms. It features Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing and is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission. The 6-speed automatic also features Auto Grade Braking just like the 10-speed Allison transmission.
With a tougher frame, the 3500HD Silverado can tow an incredible 51% more than the outgoing version when equipped with the dual rear wheels. The max 5th wheel trailering figure is now at 35,500 lbs with the DRW and 21,500 lbs with the single rear wheel (SRW). Both these figures are with 2WD configuration and with the 6.6L diesel engine, 4WD configuration is slightly less.
Max payload for the DRW is now 7,466 lbs and 4,493 lbs for the SRW. Both of these figures are with the 6.6L gasoline engine, the diesel is slightly less. So the moral of the story is that if you require towing capability buy the diesel. If you require payload capability, buy the gasoline engine.
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD has a very similar interior to that of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. Similar layout and similar convenience features.
- 7” diagonal color touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility
- Bluetooth connectivity for 2 active devices simultaneously
- 6-speaker audio system
- 60/40 split-folding rear bench seat
- 3.5" diagonal monochromatic Driver Information Screen
- Power windows, power locks
- CornerStep rear bumper with integrated BedStep in front of rear wheels for easier bed access
- Folding & extending trailer mirrors
- 12 fixed cargo tie-down each capable of holding 500 lbs
- StabiliTrak, stability control system with Proactive Roll Avoidance and traction control includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist
- 6 airbags
- Rear Vision Camera
- Hitch Guidance
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- 20-inch polished-aluminum wheels (SRW)
- Heated and vented perforated leather-appointed front seats
- Bose® premium audio system
- Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Premium with Navigation and 8-inch diagonal color touch-screen
- 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot capable
- 10-way power driver seat with power lumbar
- Heated second row outboard seats
- Heated steering wheel
- 8" diagonal, digital Driver Information Center
- Advanced Trailering System
- Keyless Open and Start
- Wireless Smartphone Charging
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- 6" Chrome rectangular assist steps (factory installed)
- Headlamps, LED reflector (high intensity) with LED signature curtain Daytime Running Lamps
- Chevytec spray-on bedliner
- Power Up and Down Tailgate
- OnStar® & Chevrolet Connected Services capable
- Front and Rear Park Assist
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
- Forward Collision Alert
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Safety Alert Seat
- HD Surround Vision with Two Trailer View Camera Provisions
- 15" diagonal Head-Up display
- Gooseneck / 5th Wheel Hitch platform with tray to accept ball and stamped bed holes with caps installed
- Bed-mounted 7-pin trailer harness
- Z71 Off-Road suspension with Rancho™ twin tube shocks
At the time of writing this article, fuel economy figures have not been released so we have no idea how the new Silverado 3500HD compares with the competition. Expect to see the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD hit showrooms in Fall of 2019. Follow Eagle Ridge GM on social media to find out first when we receive the 2020 Silverado HD.
Eagle Ridge GM – Coquitlam, British Columbia